Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1. d4 repertoire books (Read 7881 times)
lnn2
God Member

Re: 1. d4 repertoire books
Reply #7 - 08/04/05 at 02:27:53
Post Tools
I found Dunnington's Attacking with 1. d4 inspiring, though not sure if will play any of his recommendations nowadays. Before his book i didn't know 1. d4 could be played so aggressively! His analysis is optimistic, and even somewhat "Fritzy", but that's how it is if you want to play like that.

The weakest part of the book is on the Slav, where he recommends the dubious 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5?!, after 4... dxc4! i think black is already better. But he make up for it by providing excellent analysis of QGA 3. e4, the quality in this part is not inferior to Sakaev/Semkov's generally authoritative QGA work.

Actually, I think all 1. d4 players should buy Dunnington's book. Even if his book is not a repertoire for life (far from it!), it's a nice hodge-podge of interesting ideas, somewhat like a good SOS collection for the 1. d4 player.

I am still waiting for the repertoire book that is in-between  Palliser and Dunnington on the aggression scale, for me this would hit the sweet spot, am thinking of lines like nimzo 4. Qc2 0-0 5. e4!, Samisch KID, 5. Bf4 QGD etc.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #6 - 08/03/05 at 19:47:04
Post Tools
Quote:
There is also d4 for the attacking player a couple of years back. Unlike its e4 counterpart it is an attacking repertoire.

Yep, I forgot about that book.  The e4 one is by Emms.  I think the d4 one is by Dunnington.  I heard it is particularly good on the QGA.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #5 - 08/03/05 at 19:45:27
Post Tools
Quote:
I think part of the problem for writing a single volume repertoire book for 1.d4 is selecting lines in various openings that fit a single repertoire.  Khalifman managed to do it in five volumes, but a single volume that does justice to its subject?  There's Pedersen's excellent The Queen's Gambit for the Attacking Player.  You can couple that with Burgess and Pedersen's Beating the Indian Defenses and you will have something close to a repertoire.

Your first sentence is very interesting.  Why is that exactly?   What is the difference with e4 in that regard?  I'd guess it is because of possible transpositions and move order tricks.  And to carry on a debate here from another thread, isn't that an indication that d4 is more work then e4.  Wink

Btw, can you give more information on the Pedersen books?  Is the Queen's Gambit one still worth getting?  I think it is 10 years old.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #4 - 08/03/05 at 18:50:18
Post Tools
There is also d4 for the attacking player a couple of years back. Unlike its e4 counterpart it is an attacking repertoire.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #3 - 08/03/05 at 18:22:36
Post Tools
1.d4! is Palliser's book, I think. 

I checked at Amazon and there are two relevant books by Pedersen: Queen's Gambit for the Attacking Player (which is only on the QGD and perhaps the QGA) and Beating the Indian Defenses. 

Summerscale's book is more a Queen's pawn repertoire book, I think.  I should have specified that I was thinking of Queen's Gambit (d4 followed by c4) repertoire books.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #2 - 08/03/05 at 18:22:14
Post Tools
I think part of the problem for writing a single volume repertoire book for 1.d4 is selecting lines in various openings that fit a single repertoire.  Khalifman managed to do it in five volumes, but a single volume that does justice to its subject?  There's Pedersen's excellent The Queen's Gambit for the Attacking Player.  You can couple that with Burgess and Pedersen's Beating the Indian Defenses and you will have something close to a repertoire. 

I can't think of a single book that does indeed cover 1.d4 as a repertoire except books on the Colle.  Then again, looking at the repertoire books that exist for 1.e4, I think it's more a blessing than a curse that authors treat 1.d4 with more respect! Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 08/03/05 at 17:53:28
Post Tools
Steffen Pedersen has written one (1.d4! I think it's called), Summerscale another and Khaliman's opening series according to Kramnik is essentially also a d4 repertoire though he fiddles about with the 1.Nf3 move order. There are probably many more...

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

1. d4 repertoire books
08/03/05 at 17:31:30
Post Tools
Why are there so few repertoire books for 1.d4?  Just off the top of my head, I can think of four comprehensive repertoire books that advocate 1.e4 that are currently available.  And I remember a handful from years ago that are now out of print.  For 1.d4 repertoire books, I can only think of Richard Palliser's.  Are there others?

Perhaps there is no reason for this.   Or is it simply that most repertoire books are for class players and it is generally considered that 1.e4 is better for lower rated players (tactics and open positions) to play?

Just wondering.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo